Support for scheduled and rotating backup

May 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM

CloudBackup looks like an excellent product idea. Two ideas:

• It's very handy to be able to schedule backups. Your command-line utility will be very handy for that.
  • It would be very nice if there was a built-in support for rotating backups, letting the use specify the number of previous versions to be kept.

In particular, in CloudBack interface, I would suggest to group all backups that originate from the same machine but taken at different time.

I am very excited at having a deeper look at your upcoming release.

Best regards,
Joannes Vermorel
Founder at Lokad Forecasting API

Coordinator
May 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Joannes - Hi - thank you for the feedback. Regarding your first point, yes, the command-line should support you.

Regarding the second point, given our budget, we decided to focus only on the worst-case disaster recovery scenario. That is, trying to ensure that, in case of a fire, for example, the business owner wouldn't have to completely start over. Thus, Cloud Backup is more about creating a weekly or monthly archive of the VM.

While I have no doubt that cloud storage, and Azure specifically, will become very useful and more practical for this type of scenario in the next couple of years, consider:

1. There's a 50 GB total storage limit, as well as a 20 GB per day bandwidth limit, on Azure at this time.
  2. The Azure pricing model hasn't been announced yet.
  3. Even a relatively small Windows VM, compressable to say 5 GB, typically takes several hours to export, compress, and upload. A more realistic and modern example - a VM of 64-bit Essential Business Server 2008, say - could easily be four times that size, depending on the amount of user data.

In the meantime, we feel that a less frequent back-up scenario, without support for rotating back-ups, still makes an excellent demonstration of what's coming.

May 22, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Hello Dan,

Yes, thank you very much. It's was just a wish list. I completely agree that for the first version you should just stick to a simple design, and rotating backup aren't part of the "minimal feature set" :-)

Then, if there is no rotating backup, we just need to make sure that the current upload is not overwriting the previous version, but actually wait for the upload to complete before deleting the previous version. Otherwise, there is a risk of loosing everything if the crash happen while backup is in-progress. Although, I pretty sure that you've already thought about that.

I am looking forward your release.